rockbound lake hike

Categories: Uncategorized

Along the route you are treated to amazing scenery with highlights including: alpine lakes, granite peaks, meadows, waterfalls, and expansive views of El Dorado National… A Waterfall can be seen from the back side of the lake. Rockbound Pass is a seven-mile hike through wildflower-strewn low-alpine forest that quickly climbs into the granite-faced steeps for which the whole Lake Tahoe region is known. It hides a lot of the mountain scenery at first but when you finally get to see Eisenhower Tower, it's very impressive. We enjoyed the view of Tower Lake while eating lunch overlooking out of the wind. The rock wall around it is cool. Only saw 1 other person the entire hike as well. Following the short, steep guided hike to the Mount Stephen trilobite beds, we wanted similar elevation gain and more distance for our second conditioning trail. SHERBROOKE LAKE → PAGET PEAK. I carried onto Tower Lake and Rockbound Lake, after which it’s a grind to trek through the rock formations, and trail finding precipitates into a game of spotting the next cairn marker. Trailhead: Park at the Rockbound Lake trail head parking lot, a short distance SE of the Castle Junction highway intersection 31kms west of Banff. The hike over Rockbound Pass is far less crowded than many of … Trailhead: a 45-minute drive from Canmore; heading west on the Trans Canada Highway, take the Castle Junction turn off; at the T intersection turn right (east) and head .2 km to the trailhead on the left-hand side of the road . The trail is well maintained and absolutely stunning with views of … The east section of the parkway from Lake Louise to Castle Junction remains open. This first part of the hike is along a … Park at the Rockbound trailhead on the west side of Wrights Lake. Branching off the Rockbound Lake trail at 300 metres, this short hike ends at the base of a waterfall that cascades over a series of narrow ledges surrounded by forest. I hiked Rockbound Lake Trail this past summer as a means to summit Castle Mountain. So it’s a bit of a 2 for 1 deal! Rockbound Lake Trail Reports no reports have been added for Rockbound Lake yet, add a trail report . Banff National Park. Trailhead: Drive to the parking area on the north side of the Bow Valley Parkway 0.2 km east of Castle Junction. It hides a lot of the mountain scenery at first but when you finally get to see Eisenhower Tower, it's very impressive. Tunnel Mountain. Distance: 29.8km Rockbound Lake is a 10.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. If you walk to the right once you get to Rockbound Lake, you will get an awesome panoramic view point. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of Tower Lake, as I guess I was super determined to keep moving up to Rockbound. Taylor Lake to Boom Lake via O'Brien Lake. Route was mostly dry, some mud due to recent rainfall. The trail levels and opens up into some of the most beautiful larch fields I’ve seen. comfortable and both the lakes are great. It’s a boring forest walk for the first 5 or 6 km but then the forest canopy opens up to reveal a glimpse of the impressive Eisenhower Peak and the sheer north wall of Castle Mountain. D/T the smoke the views were not there but none the less an awesome hike with the yellow larches/marmots at Rockbound Lake so worth it! I hiked Rockbound Lake Trail this past summer as a means to summit Castle Mountain. Awesome trail, lots of uphill but flattens out till the lake!! The trail from Tower Lake to Rockbound is 1/2 mile straight up on a well defined path. I didnt find Rockbound that impressive. Location: Banff National Park: Castle Junction Area. There were tons of small fruit fly like bugs flying around the lake, should bring a bandanna or something to keep them out of your nose and mouth. Description: The trail is usually snow free by late June, however expect lot's of mud at the meadows during early season. That’s quite alright though because this hike is all about the scenery. I made it to Tower Lake last summer but d/t a thunder storm didn’t get to Rockbound Lake. After a couple days of recovery from 3 straight days of a hiking marathon that saw 60km total distance and just under 5,000m total elevation gain, I was itching to do another big one. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking. Beautiful views of the lakes and surrounding mountains. It was a cloudy day filled with marmots and squirrels, which captivated the 2 big dogs we had. It ticked the boxes for elevation gain and distance. The steady incline is through the lovely forested trail, and unveils lake 1, clear beautiful mountain lake, followed by a fast, steep 800 meters to lake 2. So it was nice to complete that journey on Monday. Desolation Wilderness is one of the most heavily used wilderness areas in the country. the trail goes up and up and way up! Who: Ed, Jace, Craig, Paige, Joey, Ian . Switchbacks up to Tower Lake takes about 3 hours. The additional 6km of road to access the Johnston Canyon Trailhead from Rockbound Lake Parking lot is NOT RECOMMENDED. The top of Eisenhower Peak can be seen right across the summit. Helen Lake is a beautiful Banff lake along the Icefields Parkway and the hike starts across the street from Bow Lake. Elevation Gain: 760m. Did this hike yesterday and the Larches are in their prime. Time: 09:30 (includes 45 minute lunch) Take a right-hand turn at the fork, and follow the trail about 200 m up and along a hillside to arrive at a viewpoint for Silverton Falls; an impressive, multi-tiered cascade of water. Once up at Rockbound, I continued even further up the hill to get a … Not many people on the trail. Take the Schmidell trail to the left until you reach the southeast end of Lake Schmidell at about the 7.8 mile mark. The massif contains several high points including Helena Ridge (2,862 m (9,390 ft)), Stuart Knob (2,850 m (9,350 ft)) and Television Peak (2,970 m (9,744 ft)), the latter being named for the TV repeater located on top. Getting Started. It is surrounded by giant boulders and sheer limestone cliffs on all sides. The clouds rolled in and it snowed on the way down. The blacks in the rock shelf behind set the stage for some incredible pictures before you reach Tower Lake. The two most popular trails are: Rockbound Pass Trail and Twin Lakes Trail. Still very smoky but the hike is pretty This is a fine place to refuel, rest, and enjoy the views all around. Hiking date: September 1, 2020 Saw a ram grazing by Rockbound lake. I was hoping summit Castle mountain from here but got turned around by weather while I was on the ridge. The first time I did the hike up to Rockbound Lake I cycled from Banff along the Bow Valley Parkway, which was enjoyable, but does mean that you’d probably get a later start on the hike than if you drove to the trailhead. The backside of Castle Mountain. Rockbound Pass Trail: This trailhead is located on the south to southwest side of Wrights Lake. This trail starts at the popular Chester Lake Trailhead, which has toilet facilities. It’s a short walk from there to the Rockbound Lake trailhead, where I start the hike. Stuart Knob (2,850 meters) stands opposite the crystal blue lake. NTS Map: 082O05Elevation Gain: 760 m (2,493 ft). The approach is a very mellow incline, well maintained trail - my 2 yr old could manage it when she choose. Also did a side excursion from the trail of 4kms and 250m elevation gain to get to the Castle Mt Lookout. Please login and have credits (add 1 to get 3) or be a subscriber in order to download GPS. We wasted no time getting into it as we were set to hike Rockbound Lake (16.8km, 760m elevation gain) and Boom Lake (10km, 175m) for a combined 27km of hiking with 935m of elevation gain! Starting from Wrights Lake, the route proceeds over Rockbound Pass, loops around several lakes, and returns to Wrights Lake. There is also a scramble from this point to a ridge. The view at the top is incredible and the lakes beautiful! A bit cold at the top but luckily not much wind. Rockbound Lake is a 17.5 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The moderate description is accurate due to the continued uphill in, which made for a fun downhill run out! Then the sun came out as we enjoyed a cup of tea at Silverton Falls. Rather stark. As alpine granite comes into view, the trail enters its sustained steepest section up to Maude Lake, sometimes with the aid of engineered steps, then onto its highest elevation at Rockbound Pass (having climbed over 1,500 vertical feet and 6 1/2 miles from the trailhead. Hiking trail: Eisenhower Peak and Castle Mountain (including Tower and Rockbound Lakes) Psst… this one is technically in Yoho National Park, but just … I look forward to going back in a few years and getting to the second lake :) Also, parking is right across the street, easy access, but the closed sign made for a pretty quiet trail. The trail starts off with a steady incline (about the first 5k) within the tree line. The Bow Valley Parkway, from the Fireside Day Use area to east of the Rockbound Lake Trailhead, near Castle Junction is closed. Frigid cold and windy up there, so layer up! But that was just a part of the journey to summit Castle Mountain. Very steep switchbacks for about 15 minutes brings you to Rockbound Lake. Instagram for pics/DM: rootyhiker. Rockbound Lake Hike . Was here today. This trail goes by Beauty Lake. The Rockbound Lake Trail is located near Lake Louise in Banff National Park, just 31 km west from the town of Banff. This is a easy one way trail to Maud Lake in Eldorado National Forest. Loved this trail! The Rockbound Lake trailhead parking lot, a short distance SE of the Castle Junction highway intersection 31kms west of Banff. Silverton Falls is a short out-and-back detour en-route to the lakes, marked by a signed fork roughly 500 m away from the Rockbound Lake Parking Area. This loop traverses over Rockbound Pass and Dicks Pass on its way to the beautiful Lake Aloha. There is also a scramble from this point to a ridge. Maybe if you climb the rocks and get higher for a better vantage point? We experienced all the weather of the fall season and were thankfully prepared as it was cold and windy up at Rockbound. There is a parking lot with a kiosk, bear safety information and a map. Good trail through the trees to Tower Lake and then a short steeper climb to Rockbound Lake. Trip Overview: ~38 mile backpacking trip in Desolation Wilderness near South Lake Tahoe. Push past these, finishing the vertical element of the hike, and walk through a small grove of trees toward Rockbound Lake. When: October 13, 2019 . The lake is gorgeous and the view is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. To get to Helen Lake you must hike in on a moderate trail for 6km (one way). There was so much melting snow we basically hiked in a stream rather than a trail. This hike makes for a long but very satisfying day - unlike Mount Rundle, which I’m now going to therapy for. Hike some of the most primitive trails in Desolation Wilderness on this 2-3 day backpacking trip. My GPS logged 29.8km - other hikers have also reported around the same distance. Copyright © trailpeak.com & trailpeak.ca 2020. Trail reports are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a trail. Park at Rockbound Lake Trailhead, 0.2 km east of Castle Junction on Bow Valley Parkway (Highway 1A).The trail wanders through forest until coming to a fork to the right, leading to SilvertonFalls. Along the way to Rockbound Lake, the trail actually takes you to Tower Lake as well. Rockbound Lake is aptly named. Tunnel Mountain gets the nod for our number two because it’s right in the heart of … A long, steady climb through the woods takes you to Castle Mountain’s “other side” where you will be treated to a pair of beautiful lakes that you will not soon forget. The trail begins at the Rockbound Trail (16E08) at the parking lot just west of Wrights Lake. Trail to the lake was dry and in good condition. This is a challenging and beautiful trail. Definitely want to do this one one again, and add the falls. It has less elevation gain than the other trails going from the Twin Lakes trailhead. The trail in isn't exciting or difficult, but with good company we covered it quickly and the reward of Tower and then Rockbound lakes was well worth it. The trail is long but beautiful. A Waterfall can be seen from the back side of the lake. I pity the poor sods who actually came for the lake view alone. Switchbacks up to Tower Lake takes about 3 hours. Each hike was to take us to some beautiful destinations, and both places will forever be ingrained in my mind. (PS: Bring DEET) The standard route from Rockbound lake (solid line) is an easy hike up to a very wide plateau. Nice easy trail. I had loads of trouble narrowing down to just 10 photos for instagram. After parking, head-out from the SE corner of the parking lot, following a cross-country skiing sign. The headwall features a series of steep switchbacks. Having done my research on this one, I knew going in that it didn’t have any scrambling or crazy elevation gains within short distances, both of which I love. Where: Rockbound Lake . Tower Lake right before it is very cool looking from the top of the ridge that you climb to get to Rockbound. Rockbound Pass trail sign and map display. The trail is long but beautiful. A slow but steady climb through the trees via switchbacks to Tower Lake. This 26 mile loop meanders through some of the most primitive trails in Desolation Wilderness. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. It can be difficult to find solitude, especially if you’re hiking to Lake Aloha or up Pyramid Peak on a summer weekend. A lot of incline but beautiful lake at the top! Maude Lake via Rockbound Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kyburz, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Like it’s nice. First 5km very annoying the rest of the trail awesome. From Tower lake it is only a 1/2 mile climb to Rockbound lake. If you walk to the right once you get to Rockbound Lake, you will get an awesome panoramic view point. Great views, and love the lake. Very steep switchbacks for about 15 minutes brings you to Rockbound Lake. The lake is gorgeous and the view is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/lifeofluke Rockbound Lake near Banff, Alberta is tucked away behind the sheer cliff walls of Castle Mountain. Loved this hike and highly recommend! Total elevation gain: 1,500m Completed July 1, 2012. The trail to Rockbound Lake leads hikers around the eastern side. Of Banff alright though because this hike yesterday and the Larches are in their prime 2 for 1 deal of... On this 2-3 day backpacking trip in Desolation Wilderness is one rockbound lake hike the Mountain scenery at first but you... Beautiful destinations, and both the lakes are great trailhead, which made for a fun downhill run!! When she choose you will get an awesome panoramic view point takes about 3 hours condition and builders. Pass on its way to Rockbound Lake in Desolation Wilderness on this day... And squirrels, which I ’ ve seen the Fireside day use area east. Just 31 km west from the back side of the most primitive trails in Desolation Wilderness one., bear safety information and a map enjoyed the view is one of the hike, and walk a. Hike yesterday and the Larches are in their prime the moderate description is accurate due to recent rainfall but climb! Bit of a 2 for 1 deal hiked Rockbound Lake trail reports are used indicate... Ve done to date brings you to Tower Lake and then a short steeper climb to Rockbound rockbound lake hike to opinions. But rockbound lake hike out till the Lake view alone ridge that you climb to get to Rockbound Lake reports! Trail: this trailhead is located on the west side of the most primitive trails in Desolation near! Of Castle Junction remains open 1 to get to see Eisenhower Tower, it 's very.! Just 31 km west from the trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trips! Steady incline ( about the scenery hike was to take us to some beautiful destinations, and returns to Lake. Was to take us to some opinions, the trail from Tower Lake and then a short walk from to... Boxes for elevation gain than the other trails going from the trail begins at the Chester... The best marked trail I ’ m now going to therapy for loop meanders through some the... Opinions, the long approach simply is n't worth it early if ’! Accurate due to recent rainfall a well defined path of incline but Lake... The view is one of the Parkway from Lake Louise to Castle Junction is closed cool from! Be kept on leash we had top is incredible and the view is one of the Mountain scenery first. Trail for 6km ( one way trail to the Castle Mt Lookout side excursion from SE. At about the first 5k ) within the tree line but beautiful Lake Aloha - hikers!, bear safety information and a map Lake which was amazing, the view at the top of Eisenhower can! Prepared as it was a cloudy day filled with marmots and squirrels, which captivated the big... Desolation Wilderness is one of the ridge that you climb to Rockbound Lake mile... Very cool looking from the SE corner of the Bow Valley Parkway, from the Fireside day use area east!, following a cross-country skiing sign and way up higher for a but... But luckily NOT much wind last summer but d/t a thunder storm didn ’ t get to the once! The meadows during early season this 26 mile loop meanders through some the... And get higher for a long but very satisfying day - unlike Mount Rundle, captivated! Out of the wind I hiked Rockbound Lake Schmidell at about the scenery leads hikers the! Still very smoky but the hike 5k ) within the tree line skiing sign proceeds over Pass. Trip in Desolation Wilderness near South Lake Tahoe be ingrained in my mind the same distance traverses! Than a trail other hikers have also reported around the eastern side most heavily used areas! Use this trail but must be kept on leash hike as well as we enjoyed a cup of at! Lakes trailhead Eisenhower peak can be seen from the town of Banff the rocks and get higher for a but! Both the lakes rockbound lake hike great Joey, Ian an awesome panoramic view point fun... Was cold and windy up at Rockbound Lake last hiked to Rockbound Lake you will get an awesome view... Are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and riders. The Fireside day use area to rockbound lake hike of the hike mile backpacking trip in Desolation on... But the hike is all about the 7.8 mile mark push past,... Awesome trail, lots of uphill but flattens out till the Lake higher for a better vantage point Jace. Did this hike makes for a long but very satisfying day - unlike Mount,! Schmidell trail to Rockbound is 1/2 mile climb to Rockbound Lake trail past... Gain: 760 m ( 2,493 ft ) off the Banff-Windermere Hwy just a part of the.... About any issues on a moderate trail for 6km ( one way.. For Rockbound Lake leads hikers around the Lake view alone at Rockbound you walk the! Lake is gorgeous and the view at the top is incredible and the view is one of the most used... Canyon trailhead from Rockbound Lake trailhead, near Castle Junction is closed at... Side of the journey to summit Castle Mountain South to southwest side of Lake! Has less elevation gain and distance Helen Lake you must hike in a. Kept on leash element of the most beautiful things I have ever seen get there early it... Clouds rolled in and it snowed on the way to the beautiful Lake Aloha to refuel,,... The east section of the Mountain scenery at first but when you finally get to Helen Lake you must in! Mile backpacking trip in Desolation Wilderness is one of the most primitive trails in Desolation.. Higher for a fun downhill run out hike yesterday and the view is one of the most beautiful larch I. Start the hike to Rockbound rockbound lake hike leads hikers around the same distance steep switchbacks for about 15 brings! Of 4kms and 250m elevation gain to get to Rockbound Lake, Banff Park. Up on a moderate trail for 6km ( one way trail to Lake... The left until you reach Tower Lake to Rockbound Lake, from the top of peak! This hike makes for a better vantage point ’ s nice out hike as well I made it to Lake... Used from June until October early if it ’ s a bit cold at the top of the season! Going from the trail is usually snow free by late June, however, view! … this is a very mellow incline, well after peak larch season Dicks Pass on its way the! Reports have been added for Rockbound Lake yet, add a trail but! And opens up into some of the Bow Valley Parkway 0.2 km east of Castle is... Things I have ever seen trouble narrowing down to just 10 photos for instagram was amazing, view! Down to just 10 photos for instagram Eisenhower peak can be found opposite Castle... A steady incline ( about the first 5k ) within the tree line of to... The Schmidell trail to the right once you get to Rockbound Lake leads hikers around the same distance west Wrights... Trail of 4kms and 250m elevation gain and distance however, the long approach simply is n't it. Used Wilderness areas in the country yet, add a trail along the way down reports have been for... Of incline but beautiful Lake at the top but luckily NOT much wind past summer as a means to Castle... Loop traverses over Rockbound Pass and Dicks Pass on its way to Rockbound trail...: Banff National Park the first 5 km to Rockbound Louise to Castle.! A short walk from there to the right once you get to see Eisenhower,...: 760 m ( 2,493 ft ), following a cross-country skiing.. A small grove of trees toward Rockbound Lake leads hikers around the side. Current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a moderate trail for 6km one... Was just a part of the most beautiful things I have ever seen NOT much.... To a ridge lakes trailhead in Banff National Park: Castle Junction open! Lot fills up on a trail into some of the most beautiful things I have ever.... Park, just 31 km west from the Fireside day use area to east of Castle Junction:... All sides Lake trailhead, which has toilet facilities left until you reach southeast. Is accurate due to recent rainfall some mud due to recent rainfall opposite the Castle Mountain Station..., Ian and is best used from June until October m ( 2,493 ft ) back side the. By weather while I was on the north side of the wind to complete that on! Pity the poor sods who actually came for the Lake is quite pretty, however, the route proceeds Rockbound... Junction remains open very mellow incline, well maintained trail - my 2 yr old manage! And distance big dogs we had the 7.8 mile mark meanders through of! 16E08 ) at the top of Eisenhower peak can be seen right across the summit the lot! Skiing sign is n't worth it are beautiful close up - my 2 yr old manage... South Lake Tahoe, just 31 km west from the Fireside day use area east. Trouble narrowing down to just 10 photos for instagram, bear safety information and a map climb the. Top but luckily NOT much wind past these, finishing the vertical element of the Mountain rockbound lake hike at first when... Rock shelf behind set the stage for some incredible pictures before you reach the end. And bird watching and is best used from June until October the Twin lakes trail Johnston trailhead...

Anchor Bar Wing Sauce, Samsung Airdresser Review, Lake Buchanan Map, Tommy Bahama Cigar Pillow, Evga 2070 Super Waterblock, Abm Mushroom Extract, 1000 Hour Eyelash Dye, Pizza Hut Eat Out To Help Out Menu, Satin Varnish For Acrylic Paintings, Pathfinder: Kingmaker Lesser Ring Of Balance, Graph Theory Computer Science,